Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty was developed by Westwood Studios and released by Virgin Interactive in 1992 for MS-DOS on the PC. It was retitled Dune II: Battle for Arrakis in Europe and for the Mega Drive/Genesis port.
Dune Legacy is an effort by a handful of developers to revitalize the first-ever real-time strategy game. The original game was the basis for the hugely successful Command and Conquer series and the gameplay has been replicated and extended to a wide variety of storylines and series. These include Warcraft, Age of Empires, Total Annihilation and StarCraft.
The following .PAK files from original Dune II are needed to play Dune Legacy:
- GERMAN.PAK (for playing in German)
- FRENCH.PAK (for playing in French)
Quick fix (copy / paste these commands into LXTerminal):
- wget http://www.bestoldgames.net/download/bgames/dune-2.zip
- mkdir -p ~/.config/dunelegacy/data
- unzip dune-2.zip *.PAK -d ~/.config/dunelegacy/data
Dune Legacy 0.96.3
- Size: 2 MB
- Built from source here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dunelegacy/
- Manual: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/dunelegacy/
- Licence here: http://sourceforge.net/p/dunelegacy/code/ci/master/tree/COPYING
Advice for performance
- Launch the game once through the Pi Store after install.
- Hit Escape to skip the Intro.
- Disable Replay Intro in the options.
- Disable Double Buffering in the options.
- Exit the game and reboot.
- Run the game without the Pi Store (see below).
- Set the resolution to 640 x 480 in the options.
- Set Scale to ScaleNN in the options.
Running the game without the Pi Store
- A shortcut command is created so that you can run the game without having to go into X windows and then the Pi Store. This will only work after the first reboot following installation. Here is how to use it.
- Enter the following at the command line after you log in (do not use startx);
The developer has provided the following content rating for this item:
The developer is using a Custom End User Licence Agreement. Click the link below for details
Lead one of three interplanetary houses, Atreides, Harkonnen or Ordos, in an attempt to harvest the largest amount of spice from the sand dunes.